What You Should Pack
The staff at Gulf Coast Treatment Center, located in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, wants to ensure that all residents have what they need to be comfortable during their treatment. We’ve provided the list below to help patients and families properly pack the appropriate items for their stay. As a residential treatment facility helping patients with varying needs, we try to create an environment that is secure for all patients. Things that you may have access to in life outside of Gulf Coast may not be available to patients while seeking treatment.
To ensure security, we’ve also included a list of prohibited items to make sure residents do not arrive with contraband at admission. Since this list is not all-inclusive, please note that all patients will have their belongings held and reviewed upon admission as they’re escorted to their residential unit. Any items deemed unsafe by the treatment team will be held and returned at discharge. Whenever there is reasonable cause to believe the patient may possess a potentially hazardous object, his/her belongings may be searched again. Any belongings brought in to the patient after admission will be searched, so we ask that visitors to Gulf Coast also adhere to these guidelines to ensure a secure environment for residents and staff.
Patient Packing List
We recommend that residents bring five (5) outfits to cycle through. These items should be appropriate in fit and length (nothing too tight or too short) and shouldn’t feature inappropriate graphics, such as items depicting violence, drug/alcohol use, or profanity. In addition to the five outfits, we particularly recommend some of the following items:
- A sweatshirt/jacket (no hoods or drawstrings)
- One pair of slip-on or velcro tennis shoes. Any shoelaces will be taken and replaced with zip ties.
- One pair of flip flops
- A modest swimsuit
- Underclothes and bras (sports bras only, no underwire or hooks allowed)
For personal comfort, residents can also bring a bed comforter, up to three stuffed animals, and some books (as approved by our therapist).
The items listed below are not allowed at Gulf Coast Treatment Center. This list is not exhaustive and the treatment team will use its best judgment to determine which items are acceptable and appropriate for residents based on their needs:
- Outside food and drink (the facility can provide birthday cakes)
- Laundry detergent “pods”
- Pens, markers, and notebooks/binders with metal or wire
- Medications from home (unless requested by the nurse), drugs, alcohol, and tobacco products
- Any items containing glass or mirrors
- Matches, lighters, or volatile substances including lighter fluid and aerosol sprays
- Portable TV’s, camcorders, cameras, phones, or any other recording devices
- iPods, PSP Players, and other handheld games
- Items depicting or symbolizing explicit sexual, violent, gang, alcohol or drug themes
- Sharp objects, such as knives, needles, scissors, razors, etc.
- Firearms, ammunition, or any other item that may function as a weapon
- Bar soap, perfume/cologne, or sprays in glass bottles
- Belts, shoelaces, and any clothing with zippers, buttons or drawstrings
- Hair dryers, curling irons, electric razors
- Emery Boards, nail polish, makeup, and other cosmetics