Our Approach to Academics
Residential treatment centers are places where education and mental health services generally have equal importance in a child’s day. As such, academics are central to the residential program at Gulf Coast Treatment Center. When patients are admitted to our facility, they are immediately enrolled in our education program, administered through the online education platform Edgenuity. The program enables students to work towards their GED or high school diploma while receiving treatment at Gulf Coast. All teachers are certified and licensed by the Florida Department of Education, and state-certified Special Education teachers have extensive experience working with teens struggling with emotional and behavioral issues. Residents receive, at minimum, of five hours of instruction per day for 250 days per year per state requirements, and curriculums are individualized based on the developmental needs of the patient and their level of functioning.
Education Program Goals
- Maintaining residents’ academic progress by meeting state educational requirements
- Providing individualized education services that address the resident’s academic and developmental needs.
- Providing a continuum of services utilizing local education agencies as necessary
- Ensuring students’ academic preparation upon their return to school
Our Therapeutic Education Model
- Utilizing educational assessments to evaluate each student’s ability to perform appropriately in a school setting
- Progress reports every 30 days, led by a multidisciplinary team of therapists and educators
- Certified general, special and regular education teachers to appropriately meet academic and emotional needs
- A self-contained model with collaboration among teachers and therapists
- Multi-grade classrooms with behavioral support and consistent behavior management systems
Gulf Coast Treatment Center offers a blended education model. All students work from their individual, assigned Chromebooks to access our online platform Edgenuity. This online resource allows for students to work on core and elective classes, credit recovery, technical and career subjects, and more through both remedial and accelerated work. This allows for students to spend more time on what they need and less time on content they have already mastered so students can catch up and graduate on time. Students are supported in the classroom through a dedicated paraprofessional. Their schoolwork is overseen by our state-certified ESE Instructor and Director of Education Services. Students are aided additional via assigned certified and licensed Florida instructors that act as tutors.